50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

@clhs04 - she was not. The song 'Rapture' is a tribute to earlier rappers like Grandmaster Flash; many, many rappers doing it for a long, long time before the Blondie song. 

I personally do not recall '' Hip Pop '' being around in the late 60's or early 70's...please enlighten me......I really don’t care about that music but just curious as how that music got to be 50 years old.

@garebear I think you are correct.

I have lived near a major US city, all my life, and I did not start hearing Rap, nor Hip-Hop, on our radio stations until the late 80`s or early 90`s. A section for Hip-Hop started appearing in record stores in the late 80`s or early 90`s.

I think Ol School rap can be great 80s stuff beyond that I've not kept up on the genre but have certainly enjoyed rap influences in music from bands/artists such as Galactic, Robert Glasper, Nubya Garcia and others.

And @ghasley a savagely accurate comment thank you for expressing it so well and succinctly.

@simao I couldn't agree more. Good ol' "Tavistock Rock" did its thing very well in its time with the "British Invasion" and puppet master Zappa in the Laurel Canyon.