Do I buy an upscale TT?

I recently heard a $50K TT at a friend’s and was floored by the performance.

It was a sound from a system I have never heard.

I have a very nice Woodsong Garrard 301, Tri-Planar arm and Grado Epoch 3 cartridge. Going into an Atma-Sphere MP-1 pre wt phono.

Discovered an affordable TT based on the Legendary Commonwealth idler drive TT (said to be among the best). One is $8500 and the other more elaborate one is $15K.

And there is another highly modified brass Garrard 401 for $10K. (said to be as good as the Commonwealth)

The big question is whether or not I am going to be pleased with the improvement in sound? There will certainly be a lot of hassle to change TTs!

mglik

Whatever Garrard 301 enthusiasts say, one does have to ask whether a 70 year old turntable design is the best sounding thing you can buy.  And I speak as an former Garrard 4HF owner.

Then I did sell that in 1966.

@pennfootball71 : "I would say it takes about 100K to really make a statement vinyl rig and 200K for a reference vinyl rig" - so spake the moneyphile!

Garrard 401 with two tonearm setup

as for what you heard, IF possible, take your TT there, listen to it thru that phono stage, all his equipment. Now, your TT, his TT, degree of difference?

moneyphile? LOL No No I gave conditions for this based on speakers. I also gave a 17-18k system for most people that is moron set up proof. 

I think you’d be better off assessing what you currently have and make modifications or tweaks that would help you achieve the sound you are looking for. For example cartridge, cables, arm. speed controller, damping, feet the list goes on. Rarely can you find what you’re looking for “off the rack” so to speak. The other option might be to try your friends turntable in your system if that’s possible. My point is I’ll bet it doesn’t sound the same. Good luck.