Another anti vibration solution -Primacoustics

These platforms have been more effective than I'd hoped for my bottom ported Zu Omen Defs to eliminate floor vibrations. They were (I think) developed originally for studio monitors that sat on desks and consoles.They are available in multiple sizes and consist of two inches of polyurethane foam, a heavy steel plinth,and neoprene rubber on top (non skid grip).The 17" x17" I bought were $299 each.For those on a strict budget you could fashion a close facsimile except for the steel. Substituting mdf wouldn't prevent the recoil 100% as well as the steel that curves around the front.
 My listening space is the living room in a very old home with wood walls,wood floor over a basement, and even wood ceilings. I do have GIK room treatments and foam decorative tiles on the ceiling.
 What I was hoping for was to tighten the bass and eliminate a lot of the vibration that transfers to the floor. What I got was so much more. Not only did the bass tighten up significantly, the entire frequency spectrum cleaned up and became clearer. The only way I can describe it is like all of my music has been remastered and cleaned of noise. I'm now thinking seriously of purchasing more for my subs,which would've been the best place to start but I knew the bottom ports on the ZUs needed to be addressed sooner or later.
  The music I listened to isn't really significant as everything was simply clearer and cleaner no matter what instrument or vocalist.My best CDs from Analogue Productions and MoFi  - Otis Spann,Janis Ian,Pink Floyd, along with the old blues and rock that I love - James Gang,BB King,Hot Tuna. 
 System: Cambridge transport, Audio Mirror Dac
                 Rogue RP1 preamp
                 Aric Audio Transcend amp
                 ZenWave cables
                 Custom rack RusticIndustrialMi
                 GIK room treatments

@fleschler ​​​​@relayer101 this is what I posted on AudioCircle earlier today.There are a few more details I can add.Being afraid of scratching them up and making them unreturnable I had help tipping and *walking* my 100lb Zus in position. I taped the position on the floor knowing the platform would shift around. Piece of cake though! Only spent about five minutes per speaker. The drier sound mentioned in the video I was concerned I would not like at all if it detracted from the music, but now I understand what the guys meant and it's not a bad thing. Piano music for instance, it became distinct when a note stopped and started along with when the pianist applied the pedals for a lingering note. Just like it's supposed to.Textures and timbres are more distinct but nothing jumps out at me in an unnatural way. The soundstage is better with more air around each instrument.The bass is sublime. I think you guys would like like them and I recommend them to any Zu owners reading this. I ordered mine from B&H Photo and they were delivered in seven days.

128x128jtcf

@jtcf 

Thanks for the information. What are you using to provide the space between the bottom of the speaker and the Primacoustics platoform to allow the port to breath?

I see that some of the Zu speakers come with a platform under the speakers with some type of spacers to allow an airway for the ports. Thanks.

Mine have adjustable feet on the old style wooden plinth with a cut out for the port.An option would be to remove it and fasten the feet directly on the speaker.I feel better having the extra stability.

Another option to solve this type of problem is solid granite. I have Vandersteen Quatros which have a built in powered sub that's tunable to the room. I also have my system in a room built in 1895. The floor was basically acting like a giant reflex driver. The whole house would shake. I got 18x24x3 inch granite slabs meant to support heavy machinery and put the speakers on those. Bam. No more bass management issues. Theass of the granite stabilizes the floor. And they look cool. I think the pair was 150 plus shipping. The shipping was freight to a local pick up spot. It ended up being about 300 all in for the pair. One of the greatest tweaks I've made. 

Interesting. I have my Thiel speakers on a wood floor (carpet covered) and have been trying various isolation/decoupling solutions.

I tried this:

And was hopeful, but unfortunately it was probably the least successful device I tried. Didn’t do really anything good for the sound (if anything, made it a bit more mushy). YMMV.