50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

@hilde45 , well put.

This thread is a repeat of several before.

I'm 67, I am drawn to rock, grunge, blues, jazz and classical mostly, along with other genres.

At 67, I'm not a big fan of rap and hip hop, but I don't discount the musicians' talent or the judgement of tens of millions of fans. I do enjoy a number of rap / hiphop tracks, but auto-tune crap (any genre) can just go away. 

Checkout Gigi Delana's cover of "Unholy". If you can't appreciate it... go yell at the neighborhood kids and tell them to get off your lawn, Mr Wilson!

OK I'll put my 2 cents in. "  50 years of rap" would make it 1972-73, right?

Sorry, but I don't remember that being around back then. I remember R&B, Soul, Funk, and Rock. You know, where you had to actually be able to play an instrument? Carry a tune? Harmonize? I remember THAT being referred to as music. Not rhymes in mono tone, scratching on a turntable, and spitting into a microphone. 

But, like I said, "I'm an old guy".........

I like Elton John.

I like John Coltrane.

I like Tool.

I like Bryn Terfel.

I like The Mills Bros.

I like most music, but.....

I don't particularly like hip hop.

I do not like rap.

I am getting old too, but it is more about not being able to relate to it at all. 

If Hip Hop has survived 50 years (I'm not qualified to answer that question. I can't even identify what makes a "song" Hip Hop), it is for the same reason every other genre has survived in time: there is an audience for it. It's no different than in 2000 or so Rock 'n' Roll could have been said to have lasted 50 years, which many older people in the 1950's didn't expect. Have you seen the clip of Frank Sinatra denigrating the 50's Rock 'n' Roll singers?

I love spicy food, my sister likes her's mild. In the world of Classical music my first love is the Baroque era (not that I don't love Beethoven, Wagner, and Rachmaninoff), a really fine bassist I played with likes Classical and Romantic more. Taste is taste, that's why, as the old joke goes, they make ice cream in different flavours. 

I like Schumann, but not all Schumann.

I like John Williams, but not all John Williams (Happy Birthday by the way! 🎉)

I like John Coletrane, but not all John Coletrane.

I like Glass Animals, but not all Glass Animals.

I like Snoop Dogg, but not all Snoop Dogg.

I like music, but not all music…(and that’s ok)