Analyzing DACs

As I am new to the hifi hobby, reading various product reviews and noting the details of the test environment have made me very confused.  I understand Stereophile is the hifi bible. In the publication’s DAC published tests the reviewers almost always tested the DAC connected directly to the amplifier. I think I understand why—nothing in the chain influencing the DAC sound. Is that the correct assumption? If that’s the case why incorporate a preamp if the DAC has a preamp section that is a common feature even on high end DACs? I’m in the market for a new DAC. I’m trying to avoid unnecessary components if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.  

tee_dee

I can endorse he preamp in the DAVE DAC.

Many people need more inputs that most DACs have, especially a phono.  If you are all digital, a DAC will work.

Finally, some think a preamp adds to sound quality.  I take a different approach, the sound quality is all in the recording and everything that touches it can only take away.  Find the components that degrade the sound the least.  If you don't have a preamp, it cannot degrade the sound.

Jerry

What’s the rest of your system and how much do you want to spend on a DAC?

@tee_dee 

As you are new to the hobby it is a great idea to start a thread like this. I would recommend 15% to 20% of your budget on a DAC and 20% to 30% of your budget on a separate and dedicated preamp. A good preamp will last for decades but Moore's law rules dacs. A $5000 DAC 5 years ago can get blown out of the water by a $500 dac today. 

A preamp allows selecting analog sources. A good one is neutral - it imparts no "sound."