What CDs to buy

I never thought I would get a CD player but opportunity knocked a couple months ago and here I am with an Audio Research CD6.  All my CDs from 30 years ago are mostly music I no longer listen to much.  I primarily listen to vinyl and stream but thought it would be cool to have an AR top loader and maybe seek out a few special CDs.  Any thoughts on specific CD releases that will give me some renewed respect for the shiny discs?  

dhite71

The Blue Note XRCDs are outstanding. I was just listening to Hank Mobley's Soul Station, and it is superb.

Also, it is well known that some, but not all Japanese remasters are excellent. They can be expensive, but in my view worth the retail cost in at least some cases, I believe. For example, I grew up on '70s funk and soul, and of course there were plenty of less than stellar recordings. But the Japanese remasters of, for example, the early albums  of Tower of Power and Earth Wind & Fire, are really excellent.

SuperTramp, Brothers in Arms (Dire Straights), Jennifer Warnes, Art of Noise (if you like them).

@dhite71 

The best advise I could give you is to spend some time doing research before purchasing certain CD's. There is a vast difference in sound quality based on the particular iteration of the disk. In a lot of cases, older is better, but even that is not a hard and fast rule.

This website is invaluable in making a decision.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/

The site is a library of the dynamic range of each version of a particular disk.

IMO, a lot of CD's that came out in the 80's sounded like crap as far as sound quality; not surprising as it was a new technology - Midnight Oil and Iron Maiden come immediately to mind as 80's offenders, but there are many, many more, and the remastered versions of these releases sound far superior to the 80's releases, at least to me they do. 

Usually any of the latest remastered remixed CDs sound great like the Beach Boys, Beatles Sargent Pepper, Revolver, White or Let it Be, much cleaner sounding, great bottom, middle and highs as well as instrument and vocal separation.