Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@neonknight If you want to talk to some people that have actual experience with this arm get in touch. I know a few, and can inquire on your behalf.

OK back to the bench racing :)

There are too many people who have heard this arm and say that it is terrific, to write off this arm.  Just as in electronics, the ultimate test is your ears and not some measurement.

This having been said, horizontal tracking angle error may be far less important than we have been led to believe.  As a corollary, we have all obsessed too much over this adjustment and spent more money on protractor devices than is called for.  The available $20 device, or free ones, may be all that is needed. 

There are far more important adjustments IMO, notably azimuth.

Since the short Viv arm seems to work very well, we may also have overestimated the benefit of long arms.

Nobody is going to build a "fundamentally flawed arm" and sell it for thousands of dollars.  I too have not heard of a single bad review of the arm from owners.  It's one of those things - unless you try it yourself, it'll just be speculation.

Happy owner here!

I have the carbon fiber version in 9" length. To me it sounds a lot like the SME 3012R I have on the same table--very laid back, even-tempered. Unlike say the FR 64S, which is more in your face.

Never noticed more distortion, like IGD, with the Viv.

I would have imagined it might outperform the 3012R. The 9-incher in CF would be my choice too. Last time I was in Tokyo, prices there were about 60% of US prices. Still, more than $3K for the above version.