Why does pulling out main speakers from wall improve sound?

Ask my dealer this question and he was stumped. He said it's a good idea but couldn't say why. I see speakers pulled out eight or more feet from the wall in very nice systems.

The drivers are facing forward, and when there are no ports in the back of the speaker so why would it matter?

jumia

I think to many people get hung up on what they see and do not listen.

My Sonner Legato Unum stand mounts are 3.5 feet off the back wall. And my subs are not stuffed in a corner they are 6 inches behind my speakers. Sound is great.

There is not right or wrong it is what sounds good to YOU!

Suggest you’re dealer purchase Paul McGowan of PS Audio, The Audiophile’s Guide, The Loudspeaker. After he reads it then he should let you borrow. At least he was honest with you I guess. If he’s not up for it then you might want to order for yourself. 

I would think that there are probably some speakers that are more forgiving of placement than other speakers. . . .

The brain can judge distance from sound specifically its reflections, speakers close to a wall create reflections very close in the time domain to the original sound this means your brain ’knows’ this is a small space. Speakers further in the room have a longer delay thus the brain hears a bigger space.

This. It’s all acoustics - treble/staging is very dependent on how pure the initial sound wave is when it hits your ears. Further from the wall, the back reflection is sufficiently delayed that your ears/brain can distinguish. Too close together (too close to wall), you can think it’s just "muddying" the wave.

I believe most know about the lower frequencies being less directional and therefore less depending on room placement (think sub anywhere in the room). For these less directional bass frequencies, room modes are more the driving factor (frequency response, or "boominess" vs "suck outs").

...and maybe look for another dealer (or at least confront the rep [who hopefully isn't the owner])... :-)

Even in a small room, getting those drivers out at least 32 inches from the front walls and side walls will be a dramatic, almost miraculous effect on the stage depth and width. Transients and micro details (trails) are only possible for that realism your ears crave. And yes, best free tween ever. This alone made the HUGEST difference for my system compared to anything else.