Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

@noromance 

If you wanted to use tube amps you would choose an external active crossover, for example:

I totally agree about the virtues of active speakers.  My triamplified, fully horn loaded, DEQX DSP crossed over and corrected, DIY speakers are a good example of active speakers that allow the user to select enclosures (horns), drivers, amplifiers and DSP.  I first cobbled together the speakers in 2004. Since then I changed woofers, bass horns, midrange drivers, went through a total of eight different amplifiers and two different DEQX DSPs and programming and reprogramming the DSP (no simple task) over and over  before I got the system to sound and measure as I wanted it to.  It took me a total of thirteen years to arrive at the sound I enjoy today.

I could have bought commercial active speakers without all the trial and error work, but what fun would that be?  That would be like hiring someone to hug and kiss my sweetheart for me.

@kingharold , that is a great way to get what you want, if you want it done right, DIY. Fortunately you have the chops to make it happen. Interesting how you had the freedom to go in any direction and you chose active! Nice job.

sounds_real_audio

So how do you protect the amplifier inside the speaker from the rear waves off the drivers. That rear wave is equal too the wave coming from the front of the speaker? 

Velodyne had long since incased a large portion of the plate components in silicone caulking. Of the five models I've owned since the ULD-18 the only failure I've experienced was with one of my DD Plus' remote control from a battery leak. My two DD-12 Plus have been auto on for the past eleven years.