Confession: I only like Norah Jones because so many others told me to

Norah Jones is the darling of Jazz and Audiophile press for a few years.  I've heard her albums, maybe even bought one.  Look, being a musical artist is hard as hell and I can't do it, but I realize in listening to others talk about her that I'm missing something special while listening to her.

Please, without wanting to pile on her, if you love her tell me why.  What has you going about Miss Jones that makes her a standout? No wrong answers.

erik_squires

@erik_squires - again, I can't know for sure, but my guess would be that yes, of those many millions of Norah Jones fans, a large number, if not most, would be fans without having any idea of Ravi. They don't like Norah because of her ragas, after all, and I'd also guess that most of them do not have records by Ravi or other classical Indian music at their homes, though many probably do have Diana Krall records. 

@larsman

I think the point I was trying to make was she would not have gotten the press attention if not for her dad, therefore many fewer would know of her.  You dont' have to know who her father was to be influenced by the press which did.

For myself, I didn't know who Norah's father was for years, and after I found out, I could not have cared less. Had I known, it wouldn't have been a plus.

Erik, I tend to disagree. And whether or not the press was on her side is moot. You don't sell 27 million copies of an album because of the press.

I'm a Norah fan. Come Away With Me is (was) an audiophile staple. My girlfriend bought it first but then I heard it everywhere I went to listen to high end systems for a while. Last time was at a presentation of the Magnepan 30.7. Funny thing is that album is hard to make sound bad, in my opinion. It's easy on systems. You'd think audiophile albums would be ones that low end systems just can't handle at all but it seems the opposite is mostly the case.  Try Reference Recordings Arnold: Overtures. That is not easy on most systems.