Too much power?

I have a wonderful system with a great amplifier, and yet auditioned a more powerful version of the same amp. It indeed seemed to have more punch and drive, but at the expense of playing it a bit too loud. As my current system I rarely play over 70 db, since it’s perfect at low levels. I wonder other than bragging rights, what does more power get you? Since we aren’t here for PA style sound, is there a reasonable limit to how much you will benefit from higher power/ more expensive and? Especially since tire just using one watt most of the time?

dain

I agree, I’ve had so many amps in the past, nothing compared to the Rotel rb1090 when i had it (before the smoke rose from the top one morning)

all these bunny fart amps , while loved, are worthless for volume, you need the headroom for rock/metal, or just symphonic crescendos!

have not gone below 300W rms, since the rotel fiasco.

if you love your 1.5 watt class A tube, enjoy, im sure its amazing through a nice bonus faber bookshelf pair, at low to med volume.

if you wanna shred, go 250-300W rms you will be rewarded.

no clipping, you get the full sound as meant to be!

cymbals , guitar, vocals, kick drum,.....the lowest powered amps i have in 8 Ohm are the Odyssey moon, they are powering a 3-4 Ohm speaker pair, so im still getting 300+ rms. Those Sanders Magtech monos are a 9th wonder of the world, they seem to run on endless power, into any load, even to 1 Ohm and below during tests, and use, powering some hard to drive Avalon, or Apogee, even those MBL Radiostrahler beasts, nothing drove those speakers like the magtech monos, even a pair of Sunfire sig 600's kneeled to the Magtech monos. They are so simple looking, yet will control any speaker, electrostatic,,....anything. She is on my radar this summer, then i can sell my Emotiva monos. Hint......hint......

most will disagree, but once you have the power, you will never look back.

METAL IS A LIFESTYLE !

I would feel severely abused if I were required to listen at only 70 dB SPL. 

@dain wrote:

... I wonder other than bragging rights, what does more power get you? Since we aren’t here for PA style sound, is there a reasonable limit to how much you will benefit from higher power/ more expensive and? Especially since tire just using one watt most of the time?

It's about what serves an important purpose to the individual; to me it's making the better/most use of the plentiful of wattages at hand, and having them efficiently turned into acoustic energy. Where they're not, not least over a wider SPL- and frequency bandwidth, it sounds more like an effort is exserted, which in turn has a signature as something more readily reproduced.

Lower efficiency in the electric to acoustic energy transfer (which also includes the effectiveness of cone to air coupling) to me can sound like an added lag or a higher level of perceived "viscosity" to the presentation, apart from being less immersive and present sounding. Merely adding wattages into a lower eff. package isn't enough for the desired low viscosity, effortless and immersive feel of sound, when most of it here is converted into heat in the voice coils and cross-over components, and cone-to-air delivery is badly utilized via direct radiation - unless from a large(r) direct radiating surface.

On the other hand with such circumstances addressed - i.e.: removing the passive XO, more efficient and larger/horn-loaded drivers/radiation area - for a more efficient transfer of an electrical signal to what's eventually perceived by the ears, less wattages are needed for a given SPL, but that's not necessarily to say we need less wattages overall. Instead, with the same power output we're given quite a lot more headroom within which music can "roam" more freely, something we likely missed in the first place - perhaps without even realizing it.

Dynamic peaks in the 90-110dB range with fairly non-compressed music material can take quite a lot of power with moderate to low eff. and not least passively configured speakers, certainly at more than ~12ft. listening distance and depending on acoustics, and so even several hundred watts can easily be sucked up with neither amps nor speakers having any headroom to give of here. 

I really didn’t expect it, but every time I cross over beyond 200 Watts of tube power, I get significantly better dynamics, bass, impact, and subjectively better "grip" over the big 15" drivers as a whole. Like I said I do listen quite loud, but then my speakers are 96dB / Watt Tannoys - and even 20 Watt amps can blast them quite loud, but NOT with the authority of the higher power amps!

I have one set of tube monos good for an honest 250 Watts / ch, and another set of tube monos good for almost 300. There is a BIG difference with these over the sub-200 Watts tube & SS amps I’ve used. There are likely other reasons beyond the raw power output, like premium parts & construction - but I think there’s also something to running multiple push-pull pairs of tubes per side, if you can afford to.