Who says studio monitors are "cold and analytical"?

Who says studio monitors are "cold and analytical"?  Does that mean audiophile speakers are warm/colored and distorted?   If Studio Monitors main goal is low distortion, does that mean low distortion is not something audiophiles want?  They want what, high distortion?  "Pretty" sounding distortion?  Or find pretty sounding speakers that make bad recordings sound really good?  What is the point of searching out good recordings then?  They won't sound as intended on a highly colored distorted speaker!   

Ag insider logo xs@2xlonemountain

There is no such thing as a studio monitor. All speakers are just wooden boxes. The question is how the damn thing has been tuned. Studio monitors are tuned FLAT. Audiophile speakers have a downward tilt. End of story. As a result of this, so called studio monitors sound harsh. Audiophile speakers are much more accurate and true, as they are tuned more correctly. Studio monitors were designed by people that dont understand how sound works. It goes back to an age old debate that began in the 70s regarding the shape of the curve. There have been many ideas about the perfect shape. There is ruler flat, BBC dip, or other custom curves.

Studio engineers and audiophiles are two different things. Audiophiles care about achieving the most realistic sound whereas audio engineers just want a flat speaker. Speakers marketed as studio monitors dont have lower distortion that is a myth. They do sound cold and analytical that is correct. 

Wow!  Kenjit knows the inherent flaws of studio monitors!  The designers don’t know how to design and build them.  With this analogy, all music must be quite off!😂🤣. I think Kenjit should lay off the egg nog for a bit. 

Wow, no idea we's start off with a complete lack of understanding of an entire industry.

And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...  Have not many of you owned enough equipment to fill an entire stereo store?  Have you not enjoyed all of it? Some pieces more than others.  Sure.  Even your first love HK 330 receiver?  

It's supposed to be fun.  I hired piano movers to help with my last, and very possibly just that, my last speakers I'll ever need.  Up stairs and to the right boys.

After setup, they all wanted  to hear them.  I did not go through some languid explanation of "they're not properly broken in yet".  We fired them up!

Four people positively got rowdy.....and giddy.  Said they had never heard such things.  Kept rotating in and out of the listening chair.  Kept commenting about the dynamics, the realism.  Are they audiophiles?  Nope.  But they were that afternoon. The pure joy of surprise of how good something could sound and move them!

The music server was rollin' for 1 hour while we moved through War, blues, Van Morrison, Marcus Miller.  And then they all left with big smiles and tip money.  

That was a good afternoon.