Help me understand cartridge alignment

I have a Ortofon Bokrand AB309 arm and I'm using a Royal N cartridge set up using Baewald geometry using the Feickert protractor. It's sounds awesome. I also have an Ortofon SL15 and I put it a cartridge and weighted it so I can swap it out for the Royal N any time without adjustment. The thing is, I don't have the right headshell for the SL15 yet so it can only line up like 5MM short on the Feickert. It also sounds great. So why is this? It doesn't line up with Stevenson or Lofgren. It's just off the grid and yet it's fine. I don't understand.

dhcod

Different alignments (Baerwald, Stevenson ...) have lowest distortion at  different points on an LP. Due to the arc that a stylus/pivoted arm travels across an LP there will always be distortion. These alignments attempt to reduce it. A rule of thumb is: "the longer the stylus/arm pivot distance the shorter the overhang" - and consequently the overall lower distortion. That's the advantage a 10" or 12" arm has!

If your overhang is off by 5mm, you're not doing your LPs any favors by playing them with it.

An LP played by a stylus/pivoted arm has two points where the stylus is tangent to the groove. These are called null points 1 and 2. Starting with the outermost groove the tangentcy is lowest and distortion is highest. As the stylus approaches the first null point distortion is decreasing until it reaches the first null point. Leaving the first null point the distortion again increases, reaching a maximum at the halfway point between the first and second null points. Then distortion decreases again as the stylus approaches the second null point. At the second null point the distortion is again at a minimum. As the stylus moves away from null point 2 distortion increases as the run-out grooves near.

Post removed 

Have to agree with @cleeds that being 5mm off on alignment you are not getting the most from your setup. Yes I'm sure it sounds fine but when aligned perfectly I would bet you would be amazed at the sonic improvement.