Getting back into venal with a $2,000 budget.

Targeting $1,500 for TT and $500 for phono preamp. Current 2 channel set up is made up of all ARCAM FMJ, C31 preamp, 2 P1 power amps, CD36 CD player and Energy Veritas V2.4 floorstanding speakers.

Considering used Marantz TT 15S1 with Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridge, Butcher Block Acoustics Audio Isolation Platform and dust cover all for $1,100. Or New Rega Planer 3 with Exact 2 cartridge for $1,395. The phono preamps I’m considering are Parasound Zphono XRM or Rega Fono MM Mk5.

Also open to other suggestions that would be in the $2,000 price range. 

Sorry about “Venal” should obviously be “Vinyl”. My iPad and stylus don’t always play nice and work against me sometimes.  Lol

litespeedaudio

What is venal? Sorry, I could not restrain myself...aside from that, get yourself a music hall mmf-7....comes with a great Ortofon Bronze 2m cartridge. I would recommend a good tubed phono preamp, such as the Tavish Design classic....

Getting into vinyl is more than a table. Alignment tools, record cleaner, and buying the albums. Your budget just will not do. 

@jpwarren58, tell me how much do I need to budget to get back into vinyl.  I may have to reconsider and stick with digital format.  Please keep in mind the budget was only in regards to Turntable and Phono Preamp.

@litespeedaudio  Getting back into venal (Vinyl LP) with a $2,000 budget

I can see from your OP that there are a selection of considerations being proposed.

Your consideration of the Marantz TT-15S1, will surely be bolstered by the merits made known about it as a TT, when looking at reviews. As a Belt Drive Model is on the list, it will be a Worthwhile endeavour to learn where the Marantz and the Rega are in terms of a Comparative Performance.  

Note: The Rega Design is the most plagiarised of all, there are numerous swap out Tonearms from other Companies using their Geometry and a vast range of TT Upgrade Ancillaries on offer. The Rega Brand is not limiting the options for ideas that might develop in the future.

A Direct Drive TT will have traits that are easily discernable when compared to a Belt Drive, whether the presentation will be captivating and the ultimately preferred, is a case of, 'each to their own'.  

I would advise a slow down in the purchase time allocated and attempt to experience a few of your considered purchases in advance.

I would try and hear a Belt Drive TT with a Wood Bodied Cartridge and a Metal/Plastic or Metal Only Bodied Cartridge. At present there is the Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridge and Rega Exact 2 cartridge being considered.         I am sure either is a GVFM Cartridge.

Again the differences between a Wood or Metal Body, it will be worthwhile having the experience, each will be discernible, and the ultimately preferred, is a case of, 'each to their own'.  . 

A consideration is for a Butcher Block Acoustics Audio Isolation Platform. These Sub Plinths also are available in a host of materials. Drawing on a Long Experience of carrying Out Trials on Materials and Structures, I will suggest that a Phenolic Resin Densified Wood is selected for this role.

The TT and Sub Plinth as an easy to achieve Mounting Platform, will most likely be best served using a Wall Mounted Shelve. 

I would not rush into the acquiring an end game Phonostage at present, there are plenty of suggestions for a Phonostage that will get you up and running at very reasonable money. A reasonable priced Phon' can easily require a 4-5 Time the outlay to acquire a Phon' that clearly shows the weakness in performance. Tread Carefully when selecting an end game Phon'.

A friend built a Hagerman 3 SS Phonotage and then a identical model with a modification, using a few bespoke selected parts. I was present at an A/B comparison of these as Breadboard Builds and the Good Value for Money was quite noticeable on the Standard SS Model. The modified model was very impressive, it was quite refined and this is the indelible memory.

When a £1500 Branded SS Phon' Model was included in the above demonstration, it did not get a chance it was removed almost immediately, the Hagerman's were just clearly much more attractive.

The Modified Hagerman was sold on to a Forum User who was quite impressed and ended up taking it to Forum Arranged Phonostage Bake Off's. On one occasion, it ascended up to the £2000 - £4000 Demonstrations before it was out voted to move further on to the Increased in Value Purchase Demonstrations. 

The above said about Bake Off's and surprises is not uncommon, I have heard a £1200 DIY Build come through to the Final where it was being compared to a £10000 Branded Model.

What is not known is how much Vinyl you have stashed as a Source Material from your previous usage of the Vinyl as a Source Material. Do you have plenty of Albums on standby, or is there a requirement to start purchasing, as this can become quite costly if not carefully undertaken, especially if intending on buying a large quantity of new releases.

If buying used the pre-replay treatment that can be considered to be used, to ensure the material is clean to a High Standard, is one more attention to detail awaiting in the flanks to come into view. The Link will put you on Track with all things Vinyl LP Preservation.

PACVR-3rd-Edition

Hi litespeed -

Vinyl is a rabbit hole.  There are hardware, software, and storage considerations.  Vinyl takes up space.  Vinyl begets more vinyl.  Just like tube rolling, there will be cartridge swapping.  You will upgrade at some point.

If you grew up with vinyl, did you like the experience of going to record stores and going through the stacks?  I get the same thrills today that I did 55 years ago when I go to (or can actually find) a record store.  Consider for a second, did you acquire many CDs along the way?  Odds are you will do the same with vinyl.  

None of this is a bad thing, btw.  You just need to determine if vinyl is going to be worth going down the rabbit hole.  And how do you accomplish this without breaking the bank?

At a bare minimum, you will need a TT and a cartridge and a preamp and some cables.  Wherever your starting point is, you need to have good enough equipment to see if this will be an audio extension that you wish to pursue.

Problem with coming on this site is that you are chatting up vinyl converts and we all have our stories and preferences.

I suggested the 1500 C because for $1200 ($1400 if you swap out the cartridge) you can be on your way in literally minutes and you have something that you can live with for at least a few years.  I am sure that a similar Rega or Marantz or Pro-ject will get you there too, though it may cost you several hundred more.  You will always be able to sell it, if it doesn't work for you.

If you have old records or used record shops in your area, you will need something to clean your records.  That goes a long way to removing the record noise that you don't get with CDs.  

That is the least that you are going to get away with.

Go beyond this entry level, but solid approach and I think you will wind up in $5K territory in no time.  It is not very hard to spend $2K on a TT, $1K on a cartridge, $1K on a pre-amp, $1K on accessories.  

Best of luck,

Rich