Getting back into venal with a $2,000 budget.

Targeting $1,500 for TT and $500 for phono preamp. Current 2 channel set up is made up of all ARCAM FMJ, C31 preamp, 2 P1 power amps, CD36 CD player and Energy Veritas V2.4 floorstanding speakers.

Considering used Marantz TT 15S1 with Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridge, Butcher Block Acoustics Audio Isolation Platform and dust cover all for $1,100. Or New Rega Planer 3 with Exact 2 cartridge for $1,395. The phono preamps I’m considering are Parasound Zphono XRM or Rega Fono MM Mk5.

Also open to other suggestions that would be in the $2,000 price range. 

Sorry about “Venal” should obviously be “Vinyl”. My iPad and stylus don’t always play nice and work against me sometimes.  Lol

litespeedaudio

@stereo5 I’ve returned a Malaysian 1200GR and a 1500C with wobbly platters which I (admittedly anecdotally) attribute to production move cost savings measures. They are actually now trying to justify visible platter wobble as being in spec. That was unheard of in the past. You could grab a Japanese 1200 from guitar center…and it would be perfect!

If you read my post…you will see I am a fan…but the newer constuction of say the 1200s can’t compare with the Japanese made ones. Design and performance are another discussion…but if you think you are getting the same quality construction out of Malaysia as you would Japan YOU ARE DREAMING.

Please don’t try to start quarrels where there are none. I’m not one of these domestic vs. China people…nor Malaysia vs. Japan…I don’t care where something is made…as long as it’s a good value. I owned the GEs too and loved them so you won’t get the argument you desire here.

i would Love for them to take out the pre and get rid of the cart…spend that savings on QC and they would have a Monster.

Although I deeply appreciate the 1500 …I suspect the Japanese would not have left that flimsy tonearm LIFT design leave THEIR factories for fear of shame. Kidding….(sorta )

What is venal? Sorry, I could not restrain myself...aside from that, get yourself a music hall mmf-7....comes with a great Ortofon Bronze 2m cartridge. I would recommend a good tubed phono preamp, such as the Tavish Design classic....

Getting into vinyl is more than a table. Alignment tools, record cleaner, and buying the albums. Your budget just will not do.