Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

@milpai

Apparently you are new to Rics musings. Believe me, he knows his audio!!! I have his EVS 1200 and love it even more now that I have completely replaced all my really good($$$$) cables with mostly Ali-Express Odin 2 coax, XLR, and speaker cables (incredible bargains at entry level cable prices) and, took all my kit out of a vertical Solid Steel rack, even though each shelf had maple shelves. My Audiolab 6000CDT and Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (dac/pre) + PS 5 outboard power supply now resting on a DIY maple table top that I scored locally < $200. Dimensions 5 x 2 x 2"!

hth

@ricevs

Why not list your system in Audiogon virtual system page..it is likely to inspire more folks. Pics along with description is typically more helpful to understand one’s vision  backed by ownership on a world class best sounding system for pennies on the dollar.

@ricevs 

I share your enthusiasm for the GAN 1, however I'm wondering if you have actually ordered one or have otherwise had hands-on with a unit. Would prefer real world experience rather then speculation.

Do not ever trust the word of someone you do not know personally....including me. Please read the GaN 1 thread for the 7 current reviews of the amp and you will see this exploding soon. The only hands on that is important is your hand......Try one....then you will know. There will be more manufacturers in the next year using these EAS (Elegant Audio Solutions) boards, I will be modding the boards for people and other manufacturers will start to develop their own digital amps. We have only just begun.  But if the $1400 GaN1 beats the Holo May KTE, Holo Preamp and Kinki Labs B7s with $1K worth of interconnects ($15K) then imagine a tweaked board or an even better board down the line using super power supplies, etc.......Fun times ahead.

@ricevs 

The Peachtree unit has no usb input? No go for many of us with high quality USB streamers. Major oversight.