Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

@ricevs

This very exciting, but doesn’t this require replacing transports with ripping/streaming devices, which then requires a laptop/tablet...?

It seems this old dog needs to learn some new tricks

@verdantaudio If someone needs a preamp/dac in one box at this price bracket (but does not require analog inputs) what do you suggest? The Weiss 501/502 was the one I was aiming for, and there is a new version out now apparently.

@agisthos The Weiss is a bit more expensive than $7K.  You can find a used 501/502 comfortably in this range.  It is a great unit and the preamp stage is very good. 

You have the secondary concern about system matching though.  The Weiss is superb but a hair forward of neutral.  I would never say that that is the right unit for you without knowing more about your system  The new MK2/4Ch version is about $2K more.  There will be an upgrade available to the new board sometime in the new year.  

The best preamp stage in the price class (or very close) IMO would be the Rockna Wavedream Edition SE at $7200 and that unit is dead neutral and the preamp stage is better than most.  If you don't need XLR connections, the SE versions of these DACs are jaw droppingly good for the money.

In the similar price class to the Weiss MK2 4Ch, the AGD Adante which is a full preamp with R2R DAC inside and is Roon ready.  This has a distinct advantage over many of these units as it is a true preamp that has a DAC module in it. 

@ricevs

You need to take it easy man. I am now starting to suspect if you have an agenda. Maybe not. But same thing again and again over an amp sounds suspicious. At the same time, I wonder if you are even take a breath while creating a post!

I do have an agenda. I want everyone to be happy and have the best stereo they can at the cheapest price. I have enthusiasm......comes for the greek....meaning:

"be inspired or possessed by a god"

God animates us.....wants us to live our life with joy and love and serve one another......with PASSION.

Digital amplification plus digital crossovers plus off the grid power plus plus make your own speakers are the new paradigm....believe it or not.

I am writing the webpage on all this right this minute.....stay tuned. I will be sharing this with the whole world......this is a game changer.......incredible sound for very little money....bye bye expensive high end.....welcome to the new world.....Dealers and most manufacturers and most people will find this very, very unsettling.....How can a dealer sell you a 200lb. $100K amplifier if you can do better for a few thousand dollars? I will be sending my webpage to manufacturers all over the world.....the revolution has begun....but it will take at least 5 years for most of the people to catch on as most are other directed and not creative and most are addicted to whatever they think is best or just bought........most people are slow to change. However, those who can see what is really going on will adopt this pretty quickly as they know this "new stuff" will give the most goosebumps. NO BREATHING ALLOWED HERE!!!!!!!

What if you removed the xover from your Proac speakers and biamped using two GaN 1 amps with the $600 minidsp digital xover?!?.....OMG.....it would blow your mind!!!