Where does "MidFi" differ from "HiFi" or "LOFI"?

Given the vast range of product and costs thereof in this industry, I'm curious where the "break points" are between levels of fidelity?   Equipment can range from $100's to $100,000s+, so where is "MIDFI" vs. "HIFI"?

The ear hears from a range of 20-20,000HZ, but mid-range is certainly not at the 10,000HZ level. 

just curious what you all think.

128x128johnweiss

@ronboco

Interesting thread. I’d like to see what brands everyone thinks should go into each category.

If we’re talking solely about performance then I’d say it’s a question of comparing a manufacturer’s entry products against their top of the range ones - level matched and blindfold on.

When it comes to performance even the modest NAD 3020 was able to hold its own against stuff that costed 30 times+ more.

If we’re talking about price only a few manufacturers can afford to ignore all sections of the market.

Companies like Audio Research, Harbeth, Magico, Wilson etc don’t do budget gear.

On the other hand companies like iFi, Magnepan, Polk, Rega and Q Acoustics, Wharfedale etc have somehow managed to deliver fantastic sounding products for next to nothing.

When it comes to sonics it would appear that price guarantees nothing in the audio world.

hi-fi starts at 1 dollar below what the responder spent. Anything just below my system is mid-fi

@cd318  +1 for Andrew Robinson

more folks ought heed his "recovering audiophile" wisdom