Amazon music vs Qobuz

I’m currently using Qobuz for streaming music. Amazon music is considerably less than Qobuz but I’m wondering what the differences are. Amazon goes on and on about commercial free music. Which makes me wonder how much is commercial free. Qobuz is 100% commercial free. 

z32kerber

Your I phone in my case has to download and IFI app and the you would stream your qobuz app for song listings??? Pretty close?

@robshaw I guess you could do it that way, but I just went to the iFi website and enabled the connection there. Sorry, it’s been a while since I did it and my memory for these things is not so good. You would then run your music exclusively through the MConnectHD app. It worked well until I ran into Wi-Fi issues, which is why I’m going hard wired. I do really love the sound quality of the Zen Stream and it actually sounds better than spinning CDs, which is why I’m sticking with it despite their poor customer support and Wi-Fi issues.

To soix:  Thank you so much for the updates. I looked at several video's about the IFI ZEN streamer. Geared to several, but, not really Qobuz, which I found strange. It seems as though the hardwired is the way to go. I may look into that soon, However, now looking to upgrade  my second systems pre amp and amp, in that order. Since you enlightened  me on the streamer, I'll add that to my list of things to think about. Much appreciated!!!

I have used Amazon HD through WiFi on a Bluesound Node 2i and an Auralic Aries G1 for a couple years now and have been completely satisfied with the sound quality and their vast catalog. I can't comment on Qobuz as I have not compared the two.

I occasionally stream through Airplay but find the sound to be improved streaming directly to the devises through WiFI using the devise apps and not the Amazon app. The Amazon app is fine and actually better than the Bluesound app but you are limited to Airplay.  I believe Airplay is limited to 24/48 Res where through WiFi you get the full 24/192 resolution. Also, I find the Auralic Lightning DS app superior to the Bluesound app and it interfaces to Amazon HD perfectly. 

I use Amazon HD via a Node 2i with a wired network connection.  I recently got an outboard DAC which I think improved the quality.  I've tried Qobuz several times when they had deals.  The sound quality on both is excellent especially with well mastered hi-res recordings.  

Now, I don't obsess over the sound quality because most of the time I use streaming is for background music and when I'm checking out new stuff.  Most of my real listening is done on vinyl.

But, Qobuz drops out several times a day when I used it, only for a couple of seconds, but it's really annoying.  In the 3+ years I've been using Amazon Unlimited,  I've maybe had 2 dropouts in that entire time.  That, and the lower cost of Amazon for me (we have Prime), and there hasn't been a real reason to switch.

I'll probably try Qobuz again, they have a month free deal going on now.  Maybe they've improved the service since last time I tried it.

@tgilb Steve Stone did a comparison of several streaming services I think on The Absolute Sound a couple years ago and found Amazon to be sub par compared to Qobuz and others.  I prefer the AMZN interface, but as sound quality is my priority I stick with Qobuz.  I’d suggest doing a free trial and see what you think. Lots of hi-res stuff along with CD-quality content.