Ifi Neo Streamer + Denafrips Terminator 12+

So, a bit of an update and problem:

I have connected the ifi neo streamer using aes/ebu to the terminator12+, and it seems to have changed the sound pretty dramatically, but not in a good way. 

Somehow, compared to straight USB from my computer, it dulls and smoothes the sound. 

The Terminator now shows changes in sample rate when run through the ifi streamer whereas when run directly via usb, it almost exclusively stayed at 44.1.  Using Tidal.

I thought using a digital out on the ifi would bypass the ifi's DAC, but, best I can tell, the DAC seems to be doing something in the streamer before sending the signal to the Terminator.

I am not the best critical listener, but the difference was immediately noticeable and somewhat dramatic. Again, when running aes through the ifi to the terminator, the sound was dulled and smoother. It just lost something. 

On its own, the terminator has been playing music nonstop for over 100 hours. It's still a bit harsh, but better than before. I think this could be because it's a near field set up with Wilson speakers. 

Anyway, any idea what's going on with the ifi aes to the terminator?

Any idea whats going on?

nlynchard

Totally agree with your assessment of iFi.  I’ve got a Zen Stream that looks like something out of a Jetsons or Star Trek episode that I can no longer get to work over Wi-Fi with MconnectHD and Qobuz, and iFi help is basically non existent.  Argh.  It sounded really good when it worked though and is built like a tank.  I’ll get it working again once I can hardwire it via an Ethernet cable, but it shouldn’t have had to come to that.  Hopefully Alvin will get you up n running on i2S, and if so I look forward to hearing your impressions.  Great DAC BTW.

The I2S output on the Neo Stream follows the PS Audio pinout convention so if the Denafrips units do not it will not work without a DDC.  Worth finding a $5 HDMI cable and trying it out yourself.  And yes check in on the Head-Fi thread.

Ciao! ci sono in italia community dove i piccoli streamer possono entrare in contatto? insomma se uno inizia a streammare e vorrebbe fare qualche collaborazione/hostare e venire hostati da qualcuno,come deve fare? purtroppo ho cercato ma oltre i network poco ci sta,però non credo un network accetti un neo streamer che ovviamente a pochissimi spettatori.... grazie in anticipo HPInstantInk

For what it's worth. 

I have a Neo feeding my Denafrips Pontus II over i2s. 

I can get it to work but it switches left and right channels. So all I did was reverse left and right RCAs to my pre-amp. 

I was using the 011 or 111 setting on the DAC.

Hopefully there is a software update at some point.