Why are there so many wooden box speakers out there?

I understand that wood is cheap and a box is easier to make than a sphere but when the speaker companies charge tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for their speakers, shouldnt consumers expect more than just a typical box? Are consumers being duped?

Back in the 70’s a speaker engineer found that a sphere was best for a speaker. A square box was the worst and a rectangular box was marginally better.

The speaker engineers have surely known about this research so why has it been ignored?

Cabasse is the only company doing spheres. Should wooden boxes be made illegal

kenjit

I am so confused. A square is also a rectangle so how can a rectangle sound better than itself?

Why would any competent person use wood for anything let alone to build a box with! it's just a horrible mistake! I'm glad you pointed this out to us. I'll now get rid of all my wood. 

Guess one of the advantages of the spheres is that you will have smaller holes in your exterior walls for their placement vs those for a box wooden speaker. Yes , don’t forget that little kenjit nugget

Now we know why all the women or men in Kenjit’s life left him all alone. Lack of good wood ... ;-)

Why have a box or even an enclosure of any kind. Magnepan figured it out long ago.