DAC Questions

I'm in the process of upgrading my whole system and want to purchase a DAC to use with my old CDP as a transport. The player is a Cary 308. I still have a pretty large CD collection, along with vinyl. The DAC I'm thinking about is the Lampizator Amber 3.

What do I need to know to make this happen? School me.

Thanks y'all.

Robert 

rblondeau

Wow little pricey. Will definitely look into them though. Thanks! 

@mofojo Yeah, but definitely a worthy and meaningful upgrade to look forward to in the future.  Musician gave us a nice i2S input and is a shame not to use it. 

@mofojo Yes. A lot has to do with the word clock and like everything else is probably system/DAC dependent, but it seems by and large AES/EBU or i2S are by far the preferred connections into a DAC. I can only say that using a cheap 6” HDMI cable from Monoprice from the Iris to my DAC made a huge improvement in transparency, detail, and soundstage expansion to the point I’ll never go back. Just thought since we both had Musician DACs my experience would be useful. Maybe contact Musician and see what they have to say about the quality of their various inputs, but I know what I heard with i2S and, to me, it’s on a different level.