Do Costly XLR Cables Make A Difference?

Serious question here. I currently own a rather good XLR cable that goes between the amp and DAC. I’m considering a better XLR cable to improve things, basically all the good aspects of sound reproduction such as deeper and more defined bass, better separation and detail across the frequency spectrum and an airier and more 3-dimensional sound in the midrange and treble. Will a different XLR cable supposedly one that’s costlier bring me to that direction?

My current XLR cable costs about $2k actual price paid.

I’m looking at an alternative pair up to about $2k perhaps $3k tops if it is proven that the cable is able to bring a noticeable or worthwhile if not significant difference. I am actually looking at the Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 and Gold Eclipse 8 XLR.

Any experience would be appreciated. 

ryder

@jaytor

I could not discern much difference between relatively inexpensive cables (e.g. Mogami) and more expensive cables for these short connections, but the differences were much more apparent with the 7M connections.

I believe it. The most likely explanation is the interconnects you use between preamp and amp(s) are what influences the sound the most. I was in the same boat when I moved my front end components to the side wall and ran a 15ft Mogami XLRs to my amp for a month or so. It was not even close to what the AZ Absolute Copper sounded like. During that time I tried different interconnects and power cables on the source components and the Mogami were always the bottleneck in realizing the improvements brought by those changes.
I ended up moving everything back to be able to use my 1m AZs between the pre and amp again. Way more benefits using higher quality cables than removing a 5 shelf vertical rack from between the speakers. Now if the AZs weren’t so expensive for a 5m set it would’ve been a no brainer.

“Way more benefits using higher quality cables than removing a 5 shelf vertical rack from between the speakers.”
@audphile1

Exactly! I was using 25FT RCA cable between Pre and amp and always wondered about the weak link by settling on most affordable cable. I got around with this quandary by laying out my components horizontally between the speakers.

it will make a difference if the XLR cables connect 2 components that are both differentially balanced.

@lalitk that’s exactly the next step I plan to take. Position components in a horizontal fashion between speakers as low as possible.

If your system is good enough to hear it then it maybe worth it,

also very important is that from your dac to preamp,or integrated it is Differentially balanced , meaning true balanced on both pieces of equipment , some are or many Fake balanced  , it has to state this ,if not you will not reap all the benefits.