Welcome to Hell, here's your 8-Track

Neil Postman once said, 

"Anyone who has studied the history of technology knows that technological change is always a Faustian bargain: Technology giveth and technology taketh away, and not always in equal measure. A new technology sometimes creates more than it destroys. Sometimes, it destroys more than it creates. But it is never one-sided."

I'm pretty sure that we know that the 8-track was more bad than good.

Question for audiophiles here who might know -- was there anything good about 8-track technology that was lost when it went extinct? And what was that good, audio-wise, specifically?

128x128hilde45

Amusing discussion. Next VHS vs. Beta. Audio cassettes were not a tape loops.

i remember working in a radio shack store in the late 70s. we took delivery of some new "clarinette" model 8-track compacts, put on a carpenters tape and were surprised by the vivid sound quality [better trebles than any cassette i'd heard up to that point] coming from those speakers, with an absolute minimum of background noise. they had another 8-track player in the store, one that recorded also and had dolby NR, it sounded thin and dull in comparison. so i figured that this had to be a happy accident of matching tape azimuth between the carpenters tape and the clarinette player. 

8 track was a brief step up for my brother, who started out with a car LP player.

As long as the road was smooth (recently re-paved preferable), it almost worked.  You could almost see the vinyl being carved out of the grooves...

The 'reverb unit' that was previously attached to the Chevys' dash radio was absolutely hilarious, tho'...

Hit any bump, manhole cover, or debris rewarded you with a loud "BOIIIINNNGGggg" that would make me laugh like a hyena while he'd get pissed.

The follow-up 8 track was a great respite to all that....until the tape would stretch and I'd get relegated to digging it out of the player.

After losing a few carts, he'd moved on to the 396 Chevelle, whose engine and exhaust made more pleasant noises..... ;)

Growing up in the 60's the 8 track was all the rage. I also remember that leaving your tapes in your car for too long in hot Texas melted the the idler wheel in the cartridge and the unit ate your tape...!

It had many problems, as mentioned above, but try to buy one for the classic car you are restoring and you would think it was a high-end piece from ARC or something.  They are VERY difficult to find in ANY condition, much less looking good and actually working!

Cheers!

Remember these?  Who needs separates, right?

Picture 1 of 11