Types of Audiophiles

The Purist

A good stereo should be a transparent window into the recording session with no opinion or distortion of it’s own

The Dynamics Fanatics

A good stereo is like a thrill ride at a carnival. If I’m not jumping it isn’t worth listening to.

Live and Let Live

It’s all good man, put your money where your heart lies.

The Bean Counter

Buys gear like he’s stocking a used stereo store. Purchase price and retail value determine what comes and goes out.

The Canners

I bought my balanced headphones specifically so you wouldn’t ask me questions while I’m listening to dub step.

The Scientist

You can’t prove you have a soul so all your opinions are meaningless.

The Blind Follower

Can’t hear a difference between amp A and B so he wants to know if he should spend 5x more on B and will wait to be told which to get.

The Brand Loyalist

Falls in love with the idea of a brand or designer and changes his job to accommodate the demands of his audio jewelry

erik_squires

@cleeds 

I'll take it!!

But I don't claim any particular kind is better than another.  Just listing out the cliques.

Bean counter it is!  The problem is I'm not sure why I have so many amps, speakers, DACs and (only have four preamps but I'm not using any of them).  If I sold it all I could probably buy a decent cable new but would have nothing to hook it to.

Sounds like 'The Purist' would have had to have been present at the recording session, mixing, etc....

I don't see my type:

the chaos-seeker - keeps upgrading slowly but surely and making it sound worse. Pretending to get smarter in the process. If only....

Only two main kinds.  Those more into it for the gear and those more into it for the music.