Too Much Gain the Issue ? (preamp and amp)

I have a Cary SLP-05 preamp- 24db gain with balanced and 17db single ended.  

Using a Pass Labs XA30.8 (26db gain) and even with the 17db of the single ended output of the Cary preamp the sound can frequently be sibilant in the upper midrange.   

Have not had the sibilant sound with other amps (Parasound JC5) but did lower the gain on that amp to 50% of dial.  

Thanks.  

avanti1960

Here's a USA purchase source for Rothwell, but I'm not familiar with them (purchased mine almost 20 years ago).

They are listed under accessories and I think that I paid $40/pair ages ago.

I went for less expensive as the AI preamp was a loaner from a friend.

DeKay

I use Rothwell 10db XLR attenuators and they work wonders between my tube pre and power amp..  I bought them new from Analogue Seduction on EBay and received them from the UK in less than a week.  

The Cary is already producing the gain; attenuators can help push noise floor hiss (NOT hissy treble) down and enable more volume control range but OP didn't complain about those issues, and they likely won't do anything to address the reported sibilance. Getting a super-low output MC to force a "need" for the high gain is also unlikely to resolve the issue here.

As OP reports clean smooth sound with XA25, he probably already has his answer - the Cary & X30.8 might just be a bad match. 

@stevehuff is running Cary SLP-05 with XA60.8 amps  

@avanti1960 may be worth reaching out to see if Steve observed something similar to what you’re running into. 

i am willing to try attenuators but are they any more effective than the front panel level controls?

Evidently, those level controls on the front your pre are not helping. You have nothing to loose by buying a pair of Rothwell Attenuators and putting them in the inputs to your amp. As far as the sibiliance is concerned, try swapping tubes.

Maybe, if you give Cary a call, they may give some advice on how to remedy the problem. This may be the best course of action.