Old school shootout: Snell A/III vs. Original B&W 801

I miss Snell so much, especially the A/III.  Amazing imaging on and off axis and bass that made you think they could pop your room apart like a balloon.

Along this time the original B&W 801s also were making the rounds, and ... I'd still take Snell every time.

One of the weird combos that was popular was Audio Research + B&W and man, I hated that combination.  It was so gutless and lean.

erik_squires

Space was never a problem for me with the Snells, as they went against the back wall ( think Roy Allison ). Unfortunately, they lacked dynamics, with every amplifier I tried them with. I was / am a dynamics freak, and also owned a pair of Lascalas at the time ( used with a pair of Janis W3s ). Pick your poison / trade offs. The 801 III were, imo, a better suited speaker for me, and loved them with Levinson amplification. However, the As were wonderful just the same. If I recall, my Leak 2075s were superior to both, again, to my ears ( after some modifications ). Enjoy, and my best ! MrD.

Space was never a problem for me with the Snells, as they went against the back wall

@mrdecibel 

Wasn't there a version of these with a rear tweeter??

Unfortunately, they lacked dynamics,

Well I don't like extra jump factor, but I will say these speakers taught me the value of good amps.  The Tandbergs were pretty famous at the time, and while not the last word in sweetness they absolutely transformed the Snells in the bass.

Eric, I had the A111s, and I remember them having the rear tweeter, which were on / off switchable. Never did care one way or the other about the rear tweeter. Away from the wall, the bass would suffer....ime.  I knew the Tandberg rep, and had some of their gear. Yes I agree with you, amazing sounding gear for the time. I actually have a Tandberg integrated amp somewhere in a closet. Last time I used it, which was ages ago, was in my bedroom as a headphone amp. Anyway, great thread ! My best, Always, MrD.

I believe the original Type A used a Becker 10" bass driver and possibly in the Type A ll as well but the Type A lll used a 12 inch bass driver in a taller cabinet. I know Peter Snell used room boundary principles gaining a 3-db. boost from the rear wall   also some gain from a down firing woofer to get the speaker to a flat response. I know when i sold them they did sound better against a back wall. Very cohesive sounding speaker but not a forward sounding. The stage seemed to be more behind the speaker than in front of them. Depends on your choice of music but i do think a lack dynamics is from sound pressure. 

@willieva 

Absolutely true that they were at least "close to the wall" speakers.

At some point Snell starts adding significant amounts of mass to the drivers as well. I'm not sure which model this came into being, but an early pre-cursor to the small Carver subs with high mass, high amp power drivers.