Too Much Gain the Issue ? (preamp and amp)

I have a Cary SLP-05 preamp- 24db gain with balanced and 17db single ended.  

Using a Pass Labs XA30.8 (26db gain) and even with the 17db of the single ended output of the Cary preamp the sound can frequently be sibilant in the upper midrange.   

Have not had the sibilant sound with other amps (Parasound JC5) but did lower the gain on that amp to 50% of dial.  

Thanks.  

avanti1960

@Dekay

Based on the link below, you misread.  I quoteth:

The Cary preamp needs to be used with power amplifiers having input impedances of 10k ohms or greater if the bass is not to sound a little lean.

As you point out, the input impedance of 50k Ohms listed on the Pass site is more than enough.

I am so not a Pass fan, but what I have read from those I respect is that  these amps are very sensitive to speakers, and with the right speakers will sound full range.

I will say that when I repped InnerSound (ancient history) I took speakers to a dealer and for whatever reason the Pass with those transmission line speakers could not produce any bass at all.

Best is to consult your Carry dealer if the gain can be lowered to 12-18db (se-balanced), or lower hitting a total of early 40db max. I expect that would be sufficiently enough with speaker sensitivity between 88-91db.

thanks so far.

couple things-

not really a brigtness issue, more like slightly hissy treble. 

my pass xa25 sounds perfectly clean

cary can adjust the gain but i am not willing to go down that road