Is it worth upgrading a CD player?

I’ve had my Marantz CD6002 for around 14 years and it’s still going strong. I have it connected to an Audiolab M-DAC+ and play via my Rega amp. I’m mostly vinyl but have started to playvmy CD’s more recently and wondered whether upgrading the CD player would be worth it or not, given the fact it’s played via a dedicated DAC. Am I right in thinking there would be little noticeable improvement?

side22olto

@jbuhl   Aside from the price , the only difference between the original and the current version is the look of the casework

If like me, you have a large CD/SACD collection, then there may be an advantage to updating your CD/SACD player. About a year or so ago I bought the Marantz SA-KI RUBY SACD/CD Player and DAC. It meets all my needs and expectations and then some, being a superb DAC and CD transport in addition to an excellent stand alone player. And it doesn’t hurt that it is built like a tank! For me, it’s an end-game player that I will pass down to my kids (along with my CD/SACD collection) when I am no longer around. Regardless of your preferences, I hope you and all the folks on this forum will continue to enjoy the music! Also, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

After finishing my 3 arm TT setup, I decided to go for a better sounding SACD/CD player.

Not interested in a separate DAC, but a great sounding player. OMG, I went thru many players, until I found a vintage Sony xa5400es. Asked, and many here loved theirs

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/sonyscdxa5400es.htm

I am re-discovering my many CDs, even buying used CDs, it’s that good.

My point is: in your case a transport and separate DAC has to be as good as a great sounding CD player. You have the option od a great sounding player and a separate DAC for streaming.

Using a good DAC and CD transport will make a difference.

The accuracy of the data stream to the DAC is very important. The comments suggesting otherwise may not be the best advice. However, if you can not hear the difference why bother.

If you can hear the difference then spending your money wisely is a good plan. I would suggest using a belt drive CD transport is worth the money. The performance will beat the direct drive.

I am not a fan of the Chinese knockoff's.

I would also like to point out that I am the CEC distributor in the Americas. Follow the link for more information.