Neutral Dac?

I’m curious to see people’s opinions on what they believe is the most uncolored dac? Every dac I’ve tried seems to be a flavor that deviates from neutrality in some way (smooths things over, too bright, too soft on transients, lacks bass etc...). Is there a dac that people believe gets all the fundamentals correct with leaving very little sonic footprint? What is the cost threshold needed to achieve it? I’m surprised at my own findings recently but really curious if anyone else has been searching for a fundamentally uncolored dac and what they’ve found.

I realize the most obvious answer is "the dac with impeccable measurements" but I have also found some of them to sound unnatural (dry/bright).

schw06

@tvad I made the mistake of using the ethernet input only (bought it to eliminate the need for a streamer) and all I can say is that I thought there was something wrong with it. There was etched highs and diminished one note bass. I let it run in (purchased new) and it made little difference. I hesitate to disparage the dac because I am told the usb and other inputs sound fantastic and don't want to discourage those from having it on their radar but be aware the ethernet input is not the dac's strength.

Post removed 

@tomcarr I have them paired together with Hypex NC400 and BMR Monitors the sound is pristine.

I’m awaiting delivery on a Purifi amp from Buckeye.

@schw06
+1 on Bricasti M1SE and Tron recommendations. Both of these DAC’s are outstanding. I would have recommended to check out Merging Technologies +player (DAC+Roon player) but it’s out of your price range. When you speak to Colin about Tron, ask him about the +player. With Merging +player, you don’t need external ROON device like Nucleus or Laptop to run Core.