Share your ‘I MacGyver’d it’ solutions

1. A few decades ago I got sick of not having a remote on my old Marantz receiver. I grabbed one of those extension handle light bulb changers. Worked like a charm (with a bit of tweaking).
2. Just yesterday I needed to raise my DVR. Found 4 orange juice bottle caps and 4 racquetballs. It got me wondering if this could be used to actually dampen vibration (or would the opposite occur)?

128x1281111art

I used to be MacGyver--my friends even call me that.  And I am still full of clever solutions.  But I now have my own machine shop and I do things professionally rather than with paperclips and gum.

Jerry

got quoted to fix my AC compressor at the shop at $900. Ended up fixing my compressor with few zip-ties that worth barely few cents.

got quoted with crazy prescription to fix my IBSD, but instead decided not to eat what hurts and saved another 10gs

Doin' and doin' it everywhere possible around the house and outside of it.

"Just yesterday I needed to raise my DVR. Found 4 orange juice bottle caps and 4 racquetballs."

I have an old Onkyo A-7055 integrated that I enjoy but the feet are not completely level. Achieved the same results with 4 rubber chair leg caps - they come in a variety of sizes.

Septic service wanted $2k to replace my crumbling D-box. Something about the acid dissolving concrete over time. I took two old plastic flower pots, put one inside the other, poured concrete cement into the 1" space between them. $2 for the bag of cement. First one crumbled to sand in 10 years. Now 20 years later this one is still strong as the day it was made- er, MacGyver'd.