Most underrated female recording artists..

I'm always looking for female singers who make my 2 channel system seem worthwhile for all l have spent...the list includes Nora Jones, Diana Krall , Sade and many others.... there are some fabulous singers out there but not recorded very well...lm adding Bonnie Raitt to my top list..The Bonnie Raitt collection red book cd...tracks 16 and 17 are spectacular on my system...  I'f anyone could add a suggestion it would be appreciated..

128x128vinnydabully

@brunomarcs 

"How about 'Female artist never heard of' I think that's what this has turned into.  Now you audiophiles have heard of many more than the average consumer probably 90% of these lady's mentioned wouldn't be recognized by the majority and some should not be on any list. It's amazing how we all have different opinions on what we like".

You presume popularity and artistic merit are one and the same. 

I would suggest Iris Dement and Maria Muldaur's album the " Love Songs of Bob Dylan" which is a  wonderful recording- not necessarily for stunning  vocals chops but for her interpretations of such amazing songs and more often than not making them much better that the original.

I too think this is a great thread. One of the main reasons I follow Audiogon is for artist recommendations and this thread is a corker(English for really really good) I have already ordered some CD, having listened to a number of singers on YouTube.

My own penny, sorry domes worth:

Jonatha Brooke: A great voice and self penned songs.

Judith Owen: A welsh artist, Jazz/SingerSongwriter

Kate Rusby  ) Two of the best English folk artists around at the moment

Cara Dillon   )  "    "    "  

I hope you enjoy.