Anyone who owns a Technics SU-R1000, can you answer a quick question

I’ve been getting familiar with the new SU-R1000 for the past couple of weeks and I’m thrilled with it so far. Selling all my other gear, sounds amazing, couldn’t be happier and all that jazz.

But I am wondering if anyone here who owns one can answer a question about the phono preamp noise floor?

Stereophile measurements appear to be impeccable, but I hear a definite noise floor in the phono pre, even when the source is turned off. It is a hiss that is inaudible until the unit is turned up much beyond 40 on the volume knob.

I have swapped out my Pure Fidelity table with my Technics SL-1200, optimized both cartridges, and both have the sound. When the amp is muted it mutes the sound.

It is not audible on any of the other inputs.

So if anyone else has this preamp - could it be mine has a defective phono pre input, or is it just a higher noise floor?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjsqt

@plinko  thanks! Sorry for the "40 on the volume knob" comment, I guess when I wrote that I had specifically posed the question to owners of SU-R1000 who would know specifics about this piece of gear and know what I was talking about. I had seen others post about the SU-R1000 and hoped that this would be a good place to get some owner feedback but that didn't seem to be the case.  Anyway I was able to re-calibrate the phono optimization, setting the gain BEFORE the optimization which was what made the difference in results. The SU-R1000 manual is unclear how this all works together in the optimization process. 

@jsqt:  Thanks for describing your solution, as that might help others having a similar problem.  Your Technics look sweet — enjoy!