Why do so many sellers take offense to offers on their listings?

If you have the 'offer' feature activated then what's the problem with any offer. Comments like 'lowball' offers will be ignored just gives me a bad vibe. If your item has been up for sale then there is no insulting offer. I've made deals with people starting far apart and coming together. If you haven't noticed the audio market seems to have come to a standstill. Any opinions?

128x128bubba12

Who hasn't watched "Pawn Stars"? People come in asking the moon for their stuff, and then Rick brings them back to earth. It's not uncommon for someone to ask $25K for a vehicle or some collectable, then settle for $12K after the smoke clears. I'm no cheapskate, and I'm happy to pay up for the right item, but you never know until you ask. How do you feel when you offer 10 or 20% off, and the seller snaps it up? Don't you wonder if you could have gotten it for less? An offer is just the beginning of negotiation.

@bubba12

not so, sir! They do walk among us… and yes, there ARE some selective very insulting offers.

This forum used to have an embedded honor code for members, that’s regrettably long gone now. Some older members (me included) don’t share in any positive manner of “throw all the lowball shite against the wall, and WTF…let’s see what sticks”.

Capriciously throwing around nickels like they are manhole covers can ( and frequently will…) be received by Seller as very insulting to Seller’s knowledge of market price, sense of mutual fair play, and trashing of respect for a fellow hobbyist. These events can degrade it to a big insulting time waster. With the massive gap between parties, it’s a big clash that is largely insurmountable, and I have yet to see either party walking it back.[ Note: I’m assuming that the unit is fairly priced supported by empirical market precedent and excludes any dufus Seller stunt who grossly inflates his asking price out of greed or ignorance)

I sell mostly on CAM, and the occasional insulting offers from perceived bottom feeders are getting more common .

PROBLEM SOLVED ON CAM. (Practice not just me ….)

After getting them simply blocked out of the listing and also from all future communication with Seller, it may also be stapled with an implied pejorative slang profanity derived from GENESIS 9:7.

Ok, let’s look at it from the seller’s side. For example say we have a popular unit, used, great condition, priced right among the comps.

Why do you think, as an interested buyer, deserve a discount?

eBay has an option to allow the seller to automatically reject an offer below a dollar amount the seller selects, and to automatically accept offers above a certain point, as well. Nice option, cuts the wasted time down considerably.

Ok, let’s look at it from the seller’s side. For example say we have a popular unit, used, great condition, priced right among the comps.

Why do you think, as an interested buyer, deserve a discount?

Of course it's not always about a buyer thinking they deserve a discount. Sometimes it's just about having limited means. For example, knocking a few hundred dollars off a $5k amp might make a big difference to some people. It goes without saying that the seller doesn't have to sell.