First phono stage upgrade

Hi everyone,

Looking for some perspective on upgrading my phono stage.

I got a Rega RP8 and a Vincent PHO 8 as a first step into analog a few years ago.

My Exact cartridge got damaged during a recent move so I sought out advice here on a replacement.

I traded in my Exact for the Ania Pro and arranged to sample some phono stages at a local shop.

After replacing the cartridge, they demoed my table with Musical Surrounding Nova III and a Black Ice Audio F159.

After several hours, the sales guy says they're closing up in a few minutes and asks if I would like to try these units at home.

I ended up taking just the Nova III with both the stock Wall Wart and optional ($650 ish) power supply.

I wanted to A/B test the power supplies first.

Then A/B test against the F159.

Are these units (or this "range") a good next step?

Am I shooting too high or low?

Still very new at this.

Thanks!

hleeid

Try the Lehmann Black Cube SE II.  Includes LPS and for ~ $1200 is a super good deal.  

@lalitk I agree 100% and wish others would give this kind of advise instead of wholesale endorsements.

Let your ears decide. 

There is no substitute for the ability to audition gear within your system. Let your ears decide what’s sounds best in your budget. 

@jerryg123 

Thanks! IME, the phono stage is a very critical component in analog chain. Not saying cart, tonearm or TT is any less important but man, finding a ‘right’ phono stage may take few trials. Been there :-)

@dayglow Rega Aura best under $10,000. That’s some serious claim. I personally have a soft spot for those made by Whest - I have their first one and assume the later ones are better still. If you can get hold of one - find a second hand Vendetta scp2a. I will say that phono stages vary hugely - most good dealers will lend you one so take that up and trust ur ears