Static attack! Time to get the humidifiers going

With the temperature dropping and the heat kicking on that old nemesis is rearing it's ugly head again.  Easily noticeable on most records lately.  Especially today when I went to do some listening.  I have a Hudson hi-fi Anti static dust brush contraption set up and I think it does help.  I especially like how it dusts the record as it spins.  But when I went to throw on a record (Mahavishnu Birds of Fire) the dust brush swung over towards the record like a shot!  Hit it with the Zerostat (had forgotten to use it first) and tried placing the record on the platter again.  The dust brush stayed put!  Good to see the Zstat doing it's job.  

But, I am considering purchasing a Furutech destat in the near future.  Anyone actually use one with good results?  It is a bit pricey but I'm thinking it may be a worthwhile investment.  

pkatsuleas

The Item in the Link has been reported as suitable over quite a long period and has good appraisal from found reports.

As a Method, it certainly is not the one that will cost the most to try out. 

@pindac , I tried it and it does not work. But, my wife loves it for lighting candles!

@ghdprentice , I have been saying that FOR YEARS on this sight and I always got screamed at. I have been using devices like the Hudson sweep arm for decades and they do work wonderfully well. One comment, you want to make sure the central carbon fiber thread touches the record. I took a very sharp scissors and lightly trimmed the white hairs to make a hemisphere with the carbon thread in the center. I crazy glue the sliding weight all the way forward. It is a PITA sliding all around anyway. If you need to adjust the tracking weight for some reason you can use the threaded weight in the back but you will need to put a dab of thread locker on it. 

Anyway, because life is never simple, everything changed when I got a turntable with vacuum clamping. Vacuum clamping creates a huge static charge on the bottom of the record. Using the Hudson brush discharges the top but not the bottom. Static electricity does not like turning corners. Remember, it is a surface phenomenon. The charge was so great that sparks would jump to the cartridge when removing the record. Yes, the platter is grounded and the record will discharge through the spindle if I leave it on for 20 minutes. Who wants to wait 20 minutes to flip a record?  After I got my record cleaning machine I stumbled into a cleaning formulation that totally mitigates the formation of static. Treated records will not allow static charge for up to 6 months and counting. I expect it will wear off eventually but that is not the problem. It does leave a slight residue on the record which you can see on the stylus after about 10 sides. I am in the process of lowering the concentration of ingredients to see if I can find a formula that will control static but not leave a noticeable residue. It does seem that records that are cleaned with the formula are quieter than records cleaned with distilled water. I will make digital recording of this to prove it and share the files along with the formula.

@mikelavigne do you worry about the ozone that these ionizers produce? I'm sure you are aware that ozone can be deadly to the respiratory system but not sure how much these devices produce. Your thoughts?

Lighting Candles especially Beeswax ones produce Negative Ions, which is a Natural Ioniser.

A sereness felt within a building such as a place of worship, is attributed to being manifested as a result of the Candles Ionising effect.  

do you worry about the ozone that these ionizers produce? I’m sure you are aware that ozone can be deadly to the respiratory system but not sure how much these devices produce. Your thoughts?

@rsf507 my info is that these devices do not produce enough ozone to be a problem. the negative ion stream is very localized. and i only have them turned on while i’m playing that particular turntable. which might average 1-2 hours a day for all three together. my room has a robust HVAC system with twin inputs behind me in the ceiling, and twin returns at the front of the room. so even when they are playing the air is moving forward mostly.