DAC’s

Hello, curious on everyone’s thoughts. I’m still building my system. I came across a really good deal on a Meitner MA3 dac. It’s from an authorized dealer and they offered to sell me one NIB for 7k. I have read and read about dacs and I am getting tired. Haha. I really like the Denafrips Terminator 2, Holo and the lumin T3 being the cheapest of them all. Once I factor in a streamer I am already close or over the 7k. Also I don’t need a dac for anything other then just streaming. Thank you 

shtr74sims

@shtr74sims I run a Bricasti M3 with integrated network player and I find it excellent. Strong performance from the built in network player (beat out Lumin U1 Mini) and very good synergy with my Pass pre and amp. You will need either the M-Connect or Roon with it (I use Roon).
Never heard the Meitner dac. But highly recommend you audition Bricasti.

The DAC is the heard of a digital system.  I say it should be your most expensive piece of equipment in most systems.  I haven't heard the DAC you reference so I can't comment.  You'll get a lot of comments from guys that read a lot of reviews, thus items on stereophile's recommended list are presented like expert advice.

I am a big fan of Chord Dave (for reference).

I also like to separate streamer and DAC but I am a much bigger fan of a DAC with an onboard streamer than a streamer with an onboard DAC.  Sounds like this piece of equipment is built around a great DAC.  

Jerry

Best if you listen with a MA3 in your system, either borrowed or purchased.  At the price offered you could sell it with little to no loss if needed.  I find special network gear upstream from the MA3 is not needed.  I think for better sound than an MA3 can deliver a DAC needs a ceramic analog board and will have a high price as a result.

Do an in home demo and let your ears tell you what to do.

One mans garbage is another mans gold.