Room correction room system vs ears….

So, I splashed out and spent more than I wanted to on a nice little Benchmark amp and preamp etc and since I’ve gone that far I got curious about a room correction system for this and it’s going to cost me over a grand apparently. As far as I can gather these dial in the music before it comes out of the speakers…?

im wondering if I simply messed around and found the sweet spot without a room correction system how much of a difference this would make. I’m far from savvy with audio and try to keep things simple for my simple brain, so, on a scale of 1-10 how much difference would I percieve by splashing out on a room correction system?

thomastrouble

+ many, regarding room treatment.

But, try to be as sparing as possible. You can overdo it easily.

With regard to DSP, I would be circumspect.

Remember, when you mess with information stream, you can end up with more unintended changes that you did not intend.

Bob

A lot of good advice has been offered so far. One additional point: automatic DSP systems are powerful but don’t always come up with the result you will like best. (I use an Anthem STR Preamp with Anthem’s ARC to help smooth bass response in my basement room.) If you choose an automatic DSP system, try to pick one that will let you change or fine-tune its solution. That is far preferable to one that does not.

Well, I lied. A second point: DSP is one of the few practical ways of smoothing really low bass, which is below the frequency range in which most common acoustic traps and panels are effective.

Like most things it depends. With the right speakers and calibration software I've gotten a  flat FR from 30hz to 20khz with no special room treatments. Genelec 8351b using GLM and Dutch and Dutch 8c using their boundary settings and REW. I'd like to see what Kii3 can do, maybe someday. Anyway in your case I'd get a calibrated mic and REW since you're doing stereo. That can help with placing treatments. 

Room correction may make the sound better to your ears or it may not.  

One issue is the target frequency response curve it is trying to achieve may not be to your preferences.  

Another issue is that it will most likely try to fill in the valleys in bass response by boosting the frequencies.  Boosting bass frequencies can quickly rob an amplifier of dynamic power and cause early strain and clipping.  

I personally do not use it and if I did I would use it to eliminate peaks.  However proper speaker and sub positioning can do that quite well.  

Thanks guys , I’m about to start room treatment when I get back, heavy long curtains, bass traps, plenty of soft furnishings etc. what I’m gathering so far is over $1000 on a correction system is not necessary if I complete the treatment. I know that will tame the bass to a great extent but I thought the idea of a room correction system is that it does a lot of math and everything is fixed “before” it leaves the speakers - is that right?

Haye to spend $1000 only to hear very little difference.

I am not sure.

• Some passive treatments usually provide dampening of the sound after it is in the room.
    • One may want to dampen things out more where there are problem.
    • or diffuse things.
  • Active approaches (EQ) gets the sound energy into the room at a more consistent level initially.

It is not clear that passive is better than active or visa versa.
A combination is more likely ideal.

And if passive is not an option for a variety of reasons, then active does make a difference.

I would think one might want to start with the microphone and measurements, rather than pillows, rugs, curtains and traps.