Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

thoft,

Thiel's are not know to be shy in the bass department. If you are limited to the larger room you will need up the Thiel line to the bigger brothers. 

With them you will need to invest in amps worthy of the load they will carry to drive those speakers and give you the bottom end you are looking for. 

thoft,

Your amp will power the larger Thiel's but will run out of gas in a larger room especially if your wanting that bass slam. 

A used Krell FPB will deliver what your looking for. 
I did a tour of the Thiel factory years ago when Sherri and Gary were there and they used the Big Krell amps to drive the 7.2. The bass hit you right in the chest. 

thoft - let's consider possibilities. Your 18'x 25' room with a non-flat ceiling sounds pretty ideal to me for a pair of 3.6s.  The Thiel room where duramax heard the 7.2s probably had the Krell FPB 600. That room is 14'x 22'x 35' for 10,780 cubic feet. Your 18'x 25' room has significantly less volume, depending on the particulars of the vaulted ceiling. As stated, a major design attribute of bigger speakers is to provide more bass into larger rooms. However, the 3.6 bass fills the Thiel listening room very well. I would never call it bass-shy, much less 'extremely weak'. Your room is significantly smaller.

I imagine you explored speaker and listener placement to minimize room modes.

I don't know whether your Classe 25 amp delivers current into a 2ohm load. I read reports of it delivering to 2 ohms, but its specifications rate to 4 ohms (minimum). Your amp running out of current at Thiel's 3 ohm load is under suspicion.

The 7.2 and 3.6 are in the same league for impedance brutality, rarely climbing to 4 ohms.

Another thought is something being wrong with the speakers. Your symptoms could be caused by one woofer being disabled in some way. Do you have any test equipment to compare the 2 speakers? Tone generator, REQ, etc.  If not a momentary connection to a 6 volt (9 volt with greater care) battery can show the polarity and vigor of the woofer response. Listen as well as watch what happens.