CD player suggestions...

I'm in the market for a new CD player in the $600  - $800 range. Suggestions?

128x128peterpetre

Do you have a good DAC? If not, buy this first. All $800 CD players are going to have a very weak DAC.

Soley out of curiosity, I own one of the Emotiva CD3 players and unfortunately have little good to say about it. If I could, I would like to try yet another DAC with it, specifically the AudioQuest Dragon Red. Being as the AQ only allows for USB connection, is there an adapter to 'fix' this? 

I mention it here because mechanically the Emotiva is good, but the rest of it, not so much. The OP could do something like this, maybe?

@peterpetre You have been given many suggestions for CD players within your budget. You have also been given other suggestions as to alternative approaches.

What are your thoughts?

The Sony UBP-X800M2 is a mediocre transport.  The sound is thin and lacks details.  The Emotiva ERC-4, as a transport - especially through optical output, blows the Sony out of the water.  Not sure why the Emotiva hate from some of the posters.  I had an Emotiva ERC-3 and it sounded quite good and also worked great as a transport.  It finally died on me (not recognize the CD’s) after 9 years.  I got the Emotiva ERC-4 as a replacement and the transport, especially via optical, is even better than the ERC-3, full of details.  I used to believe that all transports are the same since “bits is bits” but apparently that is not the case.  As a CD player, the ERC-4 also sounds great.