Can someone help me pick out my first speakers?

I am not tech-savvy at all, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I'm looking for a pair of small decent home speakers for music in the $300 range.

I've heard people on reddit discourage people from buying Beats and Bose but that's the extent of my knowledge! Can someone recommend a pair of speakers to me? Or direct me to the correct subreddit if I'm not in the right place?

Thank you!

pehrafano

What are you planning on pushing them with? Lots of small monitor speakers that are being suggested are not efficient. Makes a big difference on the outcome if you have a cheapy home theater receiver.

If you can find the Pioneer SP-FS52's which are Audio Andrew Jones Designed Floor Standing Loudspeakers, they are the best sounding speakers I have heard at this budget.  I bought a pair to use in a secondary system and recently hooked them up to my tube amp and my buddy is in love with them.  Tight bass and exquisite crossovers for a very detailed sound at that price.  They are not efficient and so, they do thrive on power.