Floorstanding speaker advice needed for long room

I’d appreciate some advice on getting floorstanding speakers that don’t need to be placed too far into a room.

I want to upgrade my bookcase speakers and sub for floorstanding speakers but am worried my room might be too small. It’s 12ft wide, 9ft ceiling and 21ft long (we knocked two rooms into one when we bought the house). Due to furniture layout etc. I have my speakers positioned facing the length of the room. They can be 6ft apart but only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a foot from the wall behind. At some point in the future we’ll move but for now I’d need speakers that sound good close to the wall and this distance apart. They would be driven by a Rega Aura.

I’ve read good things about Spendors and Dynaudio, would either of these be suitable in this kind of space? And if I go for floorspeakers, presumably I can retire the sub (Rel T7).  

side22olto

Do not overlook the Vandersteen VLR's. They are made to be placed in a bookshelf. With the right power, they can really fill a room, esp. with a sub. They also work on stands. They look like a basic bookshelf speaker, but out perform many speakers that cost much more.

The Rega Aura is just a phono phono stage, isn't it?

B

Hi @side22olto,  My room is about 15 ' wide and 40 feet long.  Family room, eat in space and kitchen.  My Revel Salon 2's fill the room amazingly well!  Their height and size are awesome.  I can even listen around the corner in the (now) open Dining room.  Keep the sub(s) I have two Rel Carbon Specials which make a huge difference.  I run the Revels at full spectrum with great amplification.  A deal at around 12k used.  Ken

Zu Audio speakers would work and I agree, you should keep and use the REL T7.

Definitely look at the AM Acoustics room simulator to get an idea of your lowest room modes and where they occur.   This will help you understand your speaker placement choices, as well as what kind of bass traps, if any, you'll need.