The Beatles Revolver

Just read where Giles Martin is using  AI-powered audio separation technology to remix Revolver. From what I read he can take the mono tracks and separate all the instruments and vocals on the 4 track tape the were recorded on and then I guess remix them in 24 track or whatever he wants. Is this good? I love The Beatles and no matter how much better it my sound it not the same. They had what they had in 1966. And George Martin did wonders with 4 tracks. Where does this reissuing of classic albums stop. Is Revolver remixed in multi tracks still Revolver?

128x128lenmc2964

While I clearly understand the desire to remix songs from days of yore, my personal feeling is that you get to choose to purchase them or not.

I like the original vinyl that I bought new back then and will always play it.  If, for some reason, I happen to like the remixed versions, I will put my hard-earned money on the counter and make the purchase.

So far, I have only heard one "remix" song.  It is from the Eagles, and I don't care for it.  Unfortunately, I have to look hard on the internet to find the original version as I don't happen to have the vinyl.  I will, however, purchase it if I find it.  Oh, the song is one of my favs, and best, IMO, in the original mix:  Please Come Home for Christmas.  (The Bon Jovi version, while not as good, is by far the sexiest video I have ever seen, and they perform it with their clothes on!)

Cheers!

The sound engineer of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper,  Abbey Road was Geoff Emerick. George Martin was the producer. So for technical recording stuff Geoff was the responsible person. For their time Revolver was the revolution in sound engineering. The Beatles were involved in the recording process too and they gave a lot of new ideas to the recording engineer team.

It has been said for years that the mono version of Sgt Pepper was far better than the stereo version because George Martin focused most of his time on the mono version and very little time afterwards on the stereo version and this was the case on all of the Beatles albums through Pepper. I have both versions on early releases and while I didn’t think the stereo version was terrible I did enjoy the mono version more. I can also say this about most of their earlier albums where I prefer the mono releases.

The only Giles remix that I have purchased so far is Sgt Pepper and I have to say that I think he did a great on the remix and it is for more engaging than the original stereo version. So bravo!

I will be ordering the Giles remix of Revolver but mainly because I only have the original stereo version that was released in the US on Capitol and it does not include three Lennon compositions that were on the UK release. I believe they were released on Yesterday and Today in the US. Regardless, looking forward to Giles Revolver in stereo and hoping he dd as good a job on this as he did with Sgt Pepper.

I've got mine on order. I prefer the Beatles music in stereo except for the early ones where all the vocals are in one channel.....