GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay

I didn’t think I would part with it, but my new modded 1960’s Altec Lansing 1570B mono blocks are so damn good. I will end up selling  the Coda 16. I just don’t want to ship this 110 lb. Beast.

@jaymark If you haven't already committed, I think you'd do well to have a brief look at the final sentence of teajay's Stereo Times review of the SPL Performer s1200 from March of this year, and for context also look at the amplification equipment he had at the time of the review, which is listed at the bottom of the webpage.

Let us also not forget that teajay raved about the Coda #16, bought the review unit (which was the first unit produced by Coda), and then sold it earlier this year due to monetary constraints: 

The Coda #16 (with meters) retails for over double what the SPL Performer 1200 retails for. 

My view is to stick with Class A over AB. The SPL (never heard) and the CODA #8 are mostly Class AB. I definitely could tell the difference compared to the Class A amps I owned. I recently heard the Rotel Mitchi stereo amp and again the Class AB sound was there. Though I would take a Mitchi over the CODA #8 (I owned) but not the #16.

The Benchmark AHB2 (Class AB + H) is the exception, which sounds a lot like Class A to me.