Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

To blisshifi and tvad:

Thanks to you both for good thoughts and opinions based on your experiences.  It sort of goes down to solid state or tube.  In my own reduction to some of the ones left on my list, I've narrowed down to a Bricasti, the T+A DAC 200, or one of two Lampizators. Since I'm certain I'll be buying blind it makes it tough.  I won't get an opportunity to try them first in my system.  So the solid state worry is the nagging "high frequency characteristics" that you refer to, tvad.  With a solid state DAC, there isn't even the possibility of slight modifications via tube rolling.  Barring a change in other parts of the system, the solid state is what it is.  And the criticisms of the Lampizators, besides their appearance, seem to be an opinion of a slightly soft, aging DAC system that is being passed by other DAC entries. It still holds charm from what I've read and heard from fans.  tvad:  Have you ever listened to the Atlantic?  Compared to B3?  My budget could go up from the B3 if there were clear reasons and I did decide to go with the Polish tube...

Post removed 

@tvad Regarding the Modwright Transporter, one is able to use a 6922 to 6SN7 adapter and accommodate 6SN7 tubes. I did so successfully for years in a second system. That unit was what made me so drawn to the Baltic 3 when it was announced.

Also, like you, I did not love the Mola Mola Tambaqui. I found it to be too clinical and dry, but it has admirable speed, separation, and decay. T+A helped me land the absolute best of both worlds. 

Post removed 

The Bel Canto e1x DAC/preamp at $6.8k just got a fantastic review on Stereophile October 2022 issue by John Atkinson - Measures great and has no sound signature of it’s own.