Is there such a thing as a FOREVER DAC/streamer?

I know I might be talking about rehab in a back alley, but here it goes.

I've been looking to upgrade my Hegel H390's internal DAC. But I would only do it to knock it out of the park; as the Hegel's internal DAC does an admirable job. So the question is, is there such a thing as an end game-forever DAC. At the end of the day, DAC is a digital product. Digital technology evolve quicker than analog technology. 

Will that Lumin X1, Bartok, Dave, etc be obsolete in 3 years? Thus making this a moot conversation...

gpixels
Post removed 

Forever of course not. Knock it out of the ballpark of course not. It’s digital 0s and 1s. Different …. Sure. Small differences from a .5k dac to a 5k dac. Not saying the differences aren’t there but knock your socks off I personally do not believe so unless the more expensive one is tubed and colored to hell.

I have 2 of the same DACs for my 2 systems. It is the Musetec 005 DAC. I am in the process of building out my second system and my dealer is strongly suggesting I get the Bricasti M12 preamp/DAC at $16K. I am considering it as a final system purchase. However, as I listened to the Musetec 005 on my office system, I was thinking what the heck am I trying to improve here?

So I am going with the 2 Musetec 005's and use Sonore OpticalRendu streaming. The Bricasti has Ethernet streaming so it reduces the box count but I think my streaming is better and the DAC likely just as good (maybe better).

BTW - I have 3 Sonore OpticalRendu's, 1 for headphone system, and 2 for office and Livingroom 2-channel. So maybe I do have a forever streamer.

Sends on your disposable income , in 5 years there maybe something 

much better for less money , that being said  if it’s built well and sounds verygood 

no reason to keep buying. In Highend audio sometimes you may have to 

spend 2x as much to gain 5%+ . Diminishing returns ,you can always get a little better if you have-the $$ to burn 🔥 !! 

Check out MSB Technologies. 

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck in this journey!