Looking for advice

I’m looking at adding a streamer, Dac, and possibly a transport to utilize with an older integrated - Krell 400xi. I’m looking at starting with the bluesound node and a Cambridge audio transport. My speakers are Totem model 1 Signatures, with a Rel B1 sub. When I have more cash, looking to upgrade and get the Chord Qutest dac. Is this a good use of $$’s or am I better off getting a used Naim Uniti Atom and go with one box, plus a transport or eventually the Unitcore?

dgplo17

Does anyone have any experience or can comment on the zen mini mkiii?  This may be a good option for me to rip cd’s, and it’s a streamer DAC. In future, it allows me to upgrade the power supply and upgrade the DAC…keep as a streamer/ripper. I can forget about a credit transport. Blue sound vault another option…if I go towards separates, keeping the older Krell. 

@jengelmann is close. Played CDs are marginally better on a quality transport but I rarely use mine. All CDs are immediately ripped and the convenience outweighs any SQ differences. Just rip them on a PC, it makes it easier to tag them anyway. Start with a DAC you like (separate) and an integrated amp is fine if it has the I/O you need.

@fuzztone What do you mean “close?”  It’s perfect!!!

😂😂😂

Actually, I only agreed with @soix. Guess you could have checked my system on my profile. I do have an Innuos Zenith MKII connected to a PS Audio Directstream via USB. I also have the Zenith running Roon as an endpoint. This slowed me to configure the squeezelite player to be configured to upsample playback to DSD64. I’m sure others will differ since what we don’t all hear or desire the same sounds. This configuration gave, for me, the desired sound. Sometimes recordings on CDs seem a little “sterile” sounding. The upsampling seemed to provide a little more warmth. I stream Tidal through Roon and some MQA playbacks sound a little muddy in my system. I just choose the flac versions of those albums. 

@dgplo17 

I spent $30 on a usb cd drive and used dBpoweramp software which will make sure that your stored cd is bit perfect and it will pull down artwork.  No fancy all in one will do better.

@ghdprentice  brings experience whereas I offer my build based on searching out those with expertise.   Go back and look at the profiles of those offerng their opinion and then look at some of their other posts and you can determine who to trust.. By all means don't trust me.

Does the Bluesound node have digital input to use with the Cambridge transport?

I may be wrong but don't believe it does. Do you currently use a CD player?