Maybe this is the winter you build something!

Hey it's me. Just reminding you to please consider building something this winter.  From a new power cable to speakers, maybe new acoustic panels you DIY or even speakers or a sweet preamp kit.

You'll have a lot of fun, and learn a ton.

It's weird to me that when I suggest Audiophiles might enjoy building stuff themselves I get flack.  "I don't like that! Stop promoting DIY! It will never be as good!"

Whatever. I think building is fun and educational. 

erik_squires

I'll build an Audio rack using quarter sawn red oak I have drying. Furutech Power cables and interconnects (Double Helix) for sure and acoustic treatments. Diy is a lot of fun, might not happen in winter. 

I don't get much more time in the winter than the summer.  Unfortunately, I've got more projects than I have time.  Always building things.  good post.

I'm in final leg of building/assembling new music streamer based on atx motherboard along with first and only linear power supply for these motherboards. Euphony operating system with options of using  Euphony Stylus, Roon and HQPlayer music players. Tonight first listening!

So, technically not winter project, but this has been plenty enough work, many months of planning , researching and configuring everything to work together!

Already have equipment for next project, enterprise grade managed router/switch with plans for LPS to power, this will bridge over to wifi router. Duelund CAST PIO tinned copper to replace Audyn True Copper Max in crossover will be another winter project.

Building or creating is just a part of who I am, just as some kinds of math or computers/technology will never be. The trick here is to become proficient enough to please not only yourself but your customers.

The idea that DIY cannot ever be as good as commercial is almost backwards in my experience. DIY was due to many letdowns from the commercial offerings. Or, the commercial offerings were way expensive. Then there is location. little house on the prairie isn't going to offer the same as being in some cities.

Right at this moment, the glue is drying on a pair of speaker cabinets that I am building for a customer. Must be ok, as this is his second set of them.  In this case, the first set sounded by a margin the best speakers that I have ever heard. This is rare for me, since I have built many speakers over the years. Some were great, some were crap IMO. But the good news is that in building, you are the one who chooses the wood for the 1 1/2" thick baffle. Not MDF, not something else. To be clear, I am still replicating a design from renown engineers. Not some brainless kit, or something that you thought would be cool. Been there.  Everybody has their specialty. 

So, yes, this fall and winter, I will be in my shop as long as I can, enjoying most of it. When the weather dictates, I will move to the little electronics shop in the basement and do different projects like preamps, maybe even a power amp or two.