What was the last CD you bought (Name, and year issued)?

Like to see and get some recommendations for recent music on CDs.

My last CD bought: RY X (with Olafur Arnalds) - Blood Moon - 2022, Infecious label

Arriving soon: Antennah-Sparkle. 2022, 2020Editions label (Stefano Guzzetti label)

128x128arthur1954

Here's a few more very recent CD purchases.

Elliott Carter - Two Controversies and a Conversation for piano, percussion, and chamber orchestra (2011) - Carter composed this at the age of 102, and does not show any lack of creativity or artistic ability. Carter should seriously be spoken of with the same levels of respect as Stravinsky, Bartok, Sibelius, and other 20th century luminaries. 

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Real Enemies (2016) - close to brilliant, progressive, modern big band jazz.

Steve Coleman's Natal Eclipse - Morphogenesis (2017) - Coleman continues to prove why he was a recipient of a MacArthur 'genius grant' in 2014. Incredible contemporary jazz.

Magma - Zess (Le Jour Du Néant) (2019) / Despite being a very small step down from their best, this is still brilliant stuff. Magma were the founders of a very distinctive subgenre of prog known as "Zeuhl", which combines Coltrane like 'spiritual jazz' mixed with Bartok and Carl Orff influences. With terrifying levels of musicianship. They also made up their own language, with rules of grammar, decades before Sigur Ros did. 

@simonmoon :

Great!

Yeah, I was hoping to see more recent releases people have purchased! I’ll check some of these out. Like you, a lot of my taste run towards music you don’t find on the top 100 charts, or any other music streaming options.

I know a few people mention just getting rid of CDs because you can hear it over streaming. But after a while, they can and do remove music, and then if you don’t have the CD the music is basically lost to you.

I like your idea of just carefully storing them, as you say, hardly take any room at all!

I really like seeing that your list includes a lot of 2022 releases. I’ve been collecting and listening to music since the mid 60’s. And, like you, have no trouble at all finding new music, recent releases, that are amazing! You are not going to find anything other than top 100 BS on Amazon. I find a ton of great new artist and music on Bandcamp.

You may like the Artists on the 2020Editions label. (Bandcamp), also have you heard the band Gazpacho? Their newest, Fireworker, is Prog perfection. :-)

Latest CD purchased: The Duke Jordan Trio So Nice Duke XRCD24 released 2014. Bought 2021.

Vs Streaming? Hmm. I like to relax on holidays, kick back and listen to some music. Two years ago, my internet service went down on Labor Day for the entire day. Glad I had my discs and platters. lol

After seeing NRBQ live a month ago, I ordered (on the band’s website) all their albums from the past ten or so years, catching up. They issued most of them on CD only, a few titles on LP. I got ’em all.

If you have a chance to see NRBQ live, do it! Having recorded music at our fingertips is great, but it pales in comparison to live music. The Who's albums don't come close to how they sound live, especially with Keith Moon.

Here are the titles from my last CD purchase- sorry I don’t know the exact release dates but I believe all but one have been released within the last year or so. The first title was released in the early 70’s. All of these are available to stream on Spotify if you’d like to give them a try.

Eberhard Weber- The Following Morning

Eric Jacobsen- Blue As The Turquoise Night

Sunny War- Simple Syrup 

Aoife O’Donovan- Age Of Apathy

BadBadNotGood- Talk Memory

Gov’t Mule- Heavy Load Blues

Yasmin Williams- Urban Driftwood

Radiohead- Kid A Mnesia

Jack White- Fear Of The Dawn

Dry Cleaning- New Long Leg

Johnny Marr- Fever Dreams Pt 1-4

Dumpstaphunk- Where DomWe Go From Here