Chord M-Scaler and Should I Want One?

I have an Innuos Zenith Mk3 server/streamer feeding an Innuos PhoenixUSB reclocker, which feeds my Gryphon Diablo 300’s DAC module.  I am connecting these with Audioquest Diamond USB cords.  I love the sound of this combo. 

I know the Chord M-Scaler doesn’t support the max upsampling when connecting non-Chord DAC’s, but I’ve read in multiple places that it still makes a big improvement.

Are others using the M-Scaler with non-Chord DAC’s and if so what has your experience been?

As an aside I see the M-Scaler only allows for the tiny low-voltage power cord.  I find this surprising since I find that an aftermarket premium cord improves my Innuos USB reclocker very noticeably (but not as noticeably as using premium cords with my Innuos streamer). 

nyev

@jjss49 , I see you also have the Weiss 501 DAC, which I hear is warmer leaning (I also hear that it is superb).  My Gryphon DAC module is also warmer leaning.  Not sure if it’s possible to set up the Weiss as a DAC only with an external USB input, but if so, have you tried it with the M-Scaler?  Have you heard the M-Scaler with DACs where it didn’t work so well?

I have the Chord Dave.  I purchased the M-scaler expecting less improvement with their top of the line dac but I still didn't care for it.  I found the best setting was on the pass thru setting so I took it out of the system.  I plan to put it back in, it is still sitting there, but haven't gotten around to it.  So I wouldn't call my testing complete.  The better your DAC, the less upscaling will help you.  my 2 cents.

@nyev

i have not tried plugging the m scaler into the weiss

reason being daniel weiss states that the 501 does internal clocking and upscaling input signals at 195 khz -- which was chosen by them as what they felt optimized the sound, so in effect, the weiss (like many better dacs) does internal upscaling to enable what they feel is the most ideal reconstruction filtering of the signal in the conversion process - as you probably know, the upsampling allows for the final filters to work ideally so one should be optimized to the other in the design process

maybe one rainy day this winter when i am very bored i may well try feeding the weiss with the scaler

Makes sense that the best DACs already do the upsampling. Would be interesting to compare a setup like a one-box Weiss DAC with Roon solution, vs my Innuos Zenith Mk3 and the Phoenix reclocker (which sounds great to me).  If it compared, a Weiss could replace three boxes (including M-Scaler), corresponding cables, and eliminate the need for the DAC module.  

I don't often put much credence in Amir, but he found there was no benefit to upscaling.

Breaks bank